Our Sustainability Strategy
E.ON is committed to a sustainable energy future. By making energy cleaner and its consumption more intelligent and by making sustainable energy available to all our customers.
Our climate is changing rapidly due to Greenhouse Gas Emissions. More than 70% of all Greenhouse Gas Emissions are energy related. Therefore, E.ON consequently, more consistent than other energy companies, reinvented itself and systematically focuses on delivering the solutions for the decarbonization of the energy world. Improving people’s lives and creating a better tomorrow – we are driven to fight climate change through our core business. We are committed to act responsibly, transparently and with competence to constantly reinforce trust of our customers, our colleagues and society.
The energy world is steadily becoming more distributed, digital, and decarbonised. And that means: more sustainable. Our core businesses energy networks and customer solutions are making it happen. Our grids are constantly getting smarter, which enables them to integrate more renewable energy while remaining reliable. Our innovative solutions help customers of all sizes – from families and small businesses to large manufacturers and entire cities – to use energy more efficiently, produce their own renewable energy, and thus reduce their carbon footprint.
Based on our core belief that society relies on everyone’s individual effort to fight climate change, we enable our customers to take a more sustainable path and take our own share by constantly questioning whether we manage our business sustainably. We are convinced that sustainably managed companies make a societal contribution and are more successful in the long-term.
We clearly commit ourselves to act sustainably in all respect. Our business is driven by sustainability. Acting sustainably means when making daily business decisions, we specifically consider the short- and long-term impacts on tangible and intangible resources and stakeholders. We consider the needs of the present generation and anticipate the needs of future generations.
In particular we are focusing on achieving the following targets:
- We intend to reduce the GHG emissions we can influence directly and to become carbon-neutral by 2040. We will reduce our Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 75% by 2030 and by 100% by 2040 (vs. 2019). We aim to reduce our Scope 3 emissions by 50% by 2030 and by 100% by 2050 (vs. 2019).
- We protect the health and safety of our customers and colleagues. Mission ZERO means avoiding fatalities at all cost.
- We create a workspace where employees can thrive and develop their talents and capabilities.
- We foster diversity and inclusion in our work forces. We strive to align the share of female executives to the overall share of 32% female employees by 2026.
- We are signatory to the UN Guiding Principles already since 2005 and proactively support society and authorities in eliminating exploitative work in the supply chains.